Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

personal style

I know I am not alone in constantly tweaking the house, so I won't feel bad about writing about decorating and my living room.... again! :) I came across this picture and liked what it said to me:


(source unknown, designed by someone with the last name of Berkley)

"I like color, I like classic and girly things, but I am most comfortable in jeans." A room with this combination is hard to come by in decorating magazines. I find most either formal or casual. I think it is so interesting because it falls just short of bohemian, definitely can't be called formal, but is definitely styled with precision. I think I remember reading from the article that this decorator uses the philosophy of using things you love and making it work.

I didn't plan to imitate it, but as I was home for most of last week, I naturally felt the need to rearrange
things. :) I wasn't feeling what I'll call my 'piano wall,' and I also didn't like the view from the entrance. I knew I wanted one of my buttoned chairs with a fun pillow to be the first thing I saw when I walked in, but remembering the picture above ( not actually looking at it, but the feel of it), I set to work looking around the house to fill the space in more during nap time.



The space used to be purely formal because I do like that refined feel, but it is a better and true mix, now. I think my favorite things are the cow pillow and the slightly edgy printed sign. They relax the space and the formal piano and clock so much, and the pillow reminds me of my wild horseback riding days through field and forest. Because I am a precise math teacher and classical pianist and sports player and lover of the great outdoors. And this is my house, and it has to reflect me. I think this is why we all change our homes so much. We want it to really reflect us, not just represent more or less our taste, just like an outfit does:


(Talbots)

And is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so. We are, after all, the heart of the home. So we need to be comfortable there, and in our own clothes. ;) I feel a song coming on: phil collins' version of true colors. I just love those bagpipes!

Have a good day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment