Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Man's Quest

Pause a minute. Don't think about what you need to do today, and consider rather, what all of your actions are really aiming toward. Is it not happiness? I am sure that it is. And is its fulfillment not found in God?

If you say yes, you believe and trust that God is Good, and therefore, your happiness awaits. If you are not sure, lets consider something. What is your favorite thing in the world? Guess what!? It was created by God. And as He created it, how much more awesome must He be?

I don't usually go so blatantly spiritual here with you all, but it is Lent, and as you probably guessed I am Catholic, and, I just got back from a weekend retreat! What bliss! But having that happy time with God has deepened the purpose behind what I need to do today, now that I am back.

I truly believe no matter how much our society and world seems to want to shut God out of life, it is truly thirsting for no other than He. Lets have some fun and look at some examples.

Remember my post about Paul Simon's Born at the Right Time? Some of the lyrics are: "down among the reeds and rushes, a baby boy was found. His eyes as clear as centuries, his silken hair was brown." Does one not immediately recall Moses found in the stream? And the use of the term centuries expresses that awareness of the eternal.

I just finished reading Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. The author converted to Catholicism at some point in his life, and in this novel, he lays before one the clear quest for meaning in each of his characters. His Sebastian reminds me of the speaker of Coldplay's Viva la Vida. You see, although Sebastian did not literally "rule the world," he certainly had all of its luxuries at his fingertips, and yet he ends up being a gardener ( a noble profession!) at a monastery and lives without any luxuries whatsoever. He in some way "sweeps the streets he used to own," but that is where he finds God, or rather, stops running from him. And while we are at it, lets look at some more lyrics from this song: "Missionaries in a foreign field"..." Roman calvary choirs ( not chorus) are singing"..."I know some reason I can't explain, I know St. Peter will call my name." I also believe the music itself was written to draw one's heart to greater things.

Clearly, God is in the hearts and minds of men, regardless of whether they are particularly religious or not. (I don't know these men personally so I could not tell you.) But, that makes sense. After all, He has created each one, counted the hairs on our heads, and it is hard not to feel that type of closeness awaiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment