Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Liturgical Music

I have a little one home sick today. I don't have too many things to add to the blogosphere, but I will touch on something I noticed last night.
I grew up with clapping during Mass. As time went on, I found I was more moved by the more grandiose  hymns; think "O God Beyond All Praising." The music is absolutely beautiful. The words could not be more gorgeous.
So, you know we are in Miami. Last night, if I closed my eyes, I felt like I was transported to South America. The music was heartfelt and beautiful, and very Latin. And somehow, if these same musicians who were trained in a way very different from me were asked to sing "O God Beyond All Praising," or more "traditional" Church hymns, those same hymns I hold so dear would have no soul. It would not have been natural.
I felt a valuable cultural lesson. I felt an appreciation for the Church's universality.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment