Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

your mission

You know, the one that you feel compelled to do. The one that you and you alone can accomplish.
Do you know what it is? Because you have one.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I ( hesitatingly on my part, I'll admit) went to hear Alexandre Havard on what he has coined Virtuous Leadership and is in fact, the title of his book. I've seen him at a cocktail party thrown in his honor and very much enjoyed what he had to say. But I thought I had the jist and didn't need to hear more. ;)

We left that evening with some profound hope and questions. And here is what he had to impart which lead us to these:
Magnanimity is the virtue of a big heart, a great heart. It is the one great men and women have. It requires the other human virtues of prudence, justice, fortitude and temperance ( see Pieper's The Four Cardinal Virtues ), but in a sense, it is bigger than these. Because it is what drives a person in their life to be prudent, just, fortuitous (brave and enduring) and temperate with joy. It requires that one know their God-given talents which are personal and seeing the needs of our time. These of course take time, reflection, practice and feedback. When these collide, a mission is born that drives one the rest of your life in bringing your contribution to humanity. One is in a sense, doing what one was born to do.
Happy Mission, my friends!
image- dcbarroco.wordpress.com






No comments:

Post a Comment