Search This Blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

Temperance

Good morning, friends!! I have been mentally checked out as of late. But it due to a good book! I am in the iPad this morning, so I have no pictures to post because I am not computer savvy. But it is entitled North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell! I can't put it down! It's too early for me to make comparisons with other authors which I am sure will come because that's what my mind tends toward, but right now I am just enjoying it for the plot.:) I will compare it to something else I tried to pick up: The Paris Wife. That story is about Ernest Hemingway's first wife and their relationship as it unfolds. And although historical fiction has been a favorite of mine since my Dad recommended Killer Angels based on the battle of Gettysburg ( part of the American Civil War for all of you out there not from the states, which I will also take time to mention I think that it is so cool that you read this!), the novel is always foreboding sadness. I think a great writer is more gentle and subtle with the point they are trying to make, but writing is tough and I will applaud the effort.

It's a good thing I went to a talk yesterday on temperance, the virtue that helps you choose the right amount- neither too much or too little. ( It is unfair to temperance that it has been so badly twisted in common usage to mean absolute rigid restriction.) This brings me back to my being mentally checked out and the book. This blog is not the only thing being neglected because of my lack of self-control with reading Ms Gaskell!!

I'm back in the fray. More to come! Have a terrific day!

No comments:

Post a Comment